Pages

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Meet Nancy See, Content Creator

Nancy See is a web developer who enjoys volunteering with her local CERT program, and she's also a board member at Forge54. Forge54 brings a community of passionate marketing and creative individuals together to serve nonprofit organizations through skilled giving.

For Nancy, 2017 is the year she's decided to stop placing limits on herself. She's getting out of her comfort zone, facing her fears, and doing things she wouldn't normally do--every single day. Follow Nancy's Break Outta Boring project on Instagram and YouTube as she completes 365 challenges in 365 days.

1. What gave you the idea to do 365 challenges in 365 days?

I was at a point in my life where everything I was doing was pretty routine. Then, it hit me. Here I was in my twenties and I wasn't living life. I was simply existing and I didn't want to anymore. I decided that I shouldn't wait until I was running out of time to see what life had to offer. The time was now and I decided to do something about it.

I actually started my project on December 1st, 2016, but the activities I did weren't so exciting--many were activities like, "try a new craft or try a new blend of tea." Mid-way through December, I decided that I wanted to do more activities that actually pushed me out of my comfort zone and/or normal things that I normally wouldn't do. That is where this idea was born. I had heard about two other people who did their own version of a 365 day project, and they inspired me to try my hand at it. That was when Break Outta Boring was born.

2. How do you come up with the ideas for the individual challenges?

Some of the challenges stem from fear. I have a fear of heights, so I went zip lining. I have a fear of snakes, so I went to hold a python. Other times, the challenges are spontaneous. I may be out and about and a situation may come up to try something new. If my immediate answer is, "no," then that is my new challenge of the day. I also have had family, friends, and co-workers give me some great ideas as well.

3. Why did you decide on Instagram and YouTube as the places to share your challenges, rather than setting up a website/blog?

I started with Instagram because that was a platform I felt comfortable with. With Instagram, it's very quick and easy to post a photo of the activity I did for that day. Even though I started with Instagram, I knew that YouTube would be a better platform for what I was doing. I wanted people to see my reaction and the reactions of others in my video when I do the challenges. Photos can't fully capture what videos can, so I started posting short clips on Instagram stories, then I moved to posting short clips as my Instagram posts, and then I finally posted my first video on YouTube on January 31st. The video has since been deleted. As for a website/blog, that will be up soon!

4. What are some of your favorite challenges you've done so far?

I enjoyed zip lining--how crazy that I may have missed the opportunity to find out that I actually liked it. I also enjoyed outrigger canoe paddling. That sport would have never even crossed my mind to even try. To add, I like the challenges I have done where I approach strangers. A few years ago, I definitely wouldn't have gone up to strangers and asked them for photos or asked to sit with them at dinner in a restaurant. Surprisingly, everyone is very nice and many are willing to participate in the challenges I do.

5. What's your advice to other people who are feeling a bit stuck in their usual routine and want to try something new and step out of their comfort zone?

As cliche as it sounds, "just do it." Many times people overthink things and situations before they even get a chance to try it. They have already placed a limit on themselves if that is how they approach trying new things. I know how that feels. I was there and I am still there on occasion. You just have to look at it and say, "No. I am not going to fear you. Fear has stopped me long enough and it won't stop me any longer." Just be curious about the world and see what happens when you stop limiting yourself.

Thanks, Nancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment